Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Box of Sin Management


I don't have very good answers to your questions. But here's what I do know. Its very easy for me to get my attention caught up into a life of what I've come to know as "sin management". That basically is where I really have my eye on the ball of sin. From a spiritual perspective, it feels like I am living in some kind of box. I'm focused on doing the "do's" and avoiding the "don'ts".


At times, I wonder if I am so focused on the sin, that I miss out on what Jesus describes as one of His purposes of coming to the earth: to bring us abundant life. Its hard for me to feel the gentle breezes of the Spirit when I'm caught in the box. Its hard for me to enjoy the rhythms of the waltz of life.


We Evangelicals are quick to assert that following Christ is really not a "religious" experience, but a "relational" experience. But so much of our self-talk as a community undermines that assertion.


No comments: